1. Health

Anxiety Disorder Pen Pals

By September 8, 2009

A member of the panic disorder support forum started a pen pal thread. Itís a great way to connect with others and share information and personal struggles with anxiety. All are welcome to participate. If you would like to correspond with some new ďpen friends,Ē please join us!

Photo © Microsoft Corporation

===============================

For the latest information on panic disorder,

panic attacks and agoraphobia, sign up for the

Panic Disorder Newsletter
===============================

Comments
September 15, 2009 at 1:54 am
(1) Alfie says:

I have had anxiety since feb. 09 i wsa on disability for about 5 months then went back to work. I recently quit cause i just could not work 88hr a week anymore. but after taking so many steps foward i am now going back. Please help. it has been sometime since i have seen the bottom of the hill. But i know that everyone including my self can get back on top

September 21, 2009 at 5:30 pm
(2) shon says:

hi alfie, i hope all goes well when you return to work. I have suffered panic attacks for 35years and have tried every alternative help that is possible. I now am on propranolol and have found it a help in taking the edge of the attacks although as my condition is so deep rooted i still have a few days when it just takes over—usually when i am going to work and any social occasion. It certainly gets you down but hopefully you will get back on track real soon.

September 21, 2009 at 9:16 pm
(3) steph says:

Just a word of encouragement wonderful to see a man out there working so hard.. chin up and keep up the good work.. i am going thru the same issues running 2 part time jobs abd the hours are starting to really beat me up good luck : )

September 22, 2009 at 9:13 am
(4) DonnaJean McWhite says:

One thing I’ve learned is to look at life one day at a time, and not the whole picture of the next 20 years. No one knows how much time we each have, so I need to enjoy the good things I have now. I look back and realize how many things I’ve been through,and how they made me stronger. I learn to appreciate all I have each day, no matter how small. God only gives us as much as he knows we can handle.Then we start realizing all we are capable of handling and draw from that strength each day.

October 5, 2009 at 3:23 pm
(5) donna says:

I too, try to live one day at a time. Some days it’s an hour at a time. I also try to deal with things as they come up. Like today, I had to go to the oral surgeon for a consult on a bump I had on my cheek( from biting it repeatedly). I was given the option to have a local anesthetic and have it removed today or to come back and be put under general anesthetic. I am a woos when it comes to pain but i opted to have a local. I’m so glad I did, Now I don’t have time to worry about it and make it a bigger deal than it was.

October 5, 2009 at 7:14 pm
(6) Jane Bonkoski says:

Just to let you know that the ONLY THING WHICH HAS HELPED ME is propranolol, the generic of Inderol. This is used to control blood pressure, and it slows the heart rate down; believe it or not, I have suffered with anxiety and panic disorder for 40 years; when my blood pressure went up, the doctor put me on propranolol. The very next day I felt better–not great because of all the years of suffering. Then I found out that propranolol was prescribed for many Hollywood stars for stage fright. When you think of it, panic disorder is a type of being fearful, the what ifs, etc.

No cognitive therapy ever helped me; I believe, for the most part, that these disorders are biochemical problems in our brains. And, also, no antidepressants helped me.

This is just a suggestion because I probably was on every medicine known to man and woman; nothing helped. My life was a nightmare; what others enjoyed doing, I dreaded–going shopping was a no no for me; traveling was beyond me.

I believe it also should be called social anxiety disorder/panic disorder. People who have suffered from this have absolutely NO CLUE about this; you usually look fine; therefore, there really is no sympathy when you tell someone you can’t go to the mall because you might have the flight response when your heart starts racing, you feel sweaty, your legs feel like they are going to buckle, you feel as though you are going to pass out–all, again, in my opinion, biologically induced.

Please talk with your doctor about Inderol; obviiously if you are young, the dosage would have to be monitored carefully.

For the past 5 years I actually have been functioning in a somewhat normal way; I can do things and go places which I NEVER COULD DO IN THE PAST.

TRUST ME; I FELT BETTER IN ONE DAY ON INDEROL after years of trying hundreds of various drugs and cognitive therapy.

I think it is hogwash about the idea of “desensitization.” People, including doctors, just don’t get it; it is a biochemical imbalance, just as diabetes and other recognized diseases.

But because people can’t see our illness, they truly can’t understand. I had to live a life of lies, always telling people I had the flu, was busy, had to work overtime, had high/low blood sugar, was prediabetic–anything to try to avoid situations where I perceived that I would have a panic attack.

October 5, 2009 at 7:37 pm
(7) Jane Bonkoski says:

Please don’t think that I was being dictitorial in my previous post; I just want to try to help the thousands who have suffered and continue to suffer.

Also, perhaps cognitive therapy may help in some instances; it just never helped me; in fact, I would get panicky just thinking about going to the psychologist.

I believe, also, that there are genetic implications which may predispose us to this illness. This combined with our having to fight every day to just get through another day takes a tremendous toll; thus, perhaps our life experieences exacerbate the genetic issue.

Why is it that other diseases have genetic implications, and people seem fine with this, but depression, social anxiety/panic disorder, agoraphobia, and other illnesses that people CAN’T SEE are thought to be perhaps that we are weak, that we don’t appreciate what we have, that we are not religious, that we are lazy–that we just need to pull ourselves up by the boot straps.

No one, for example, would tell a diabetic not to take insulin or a cancer patient their cancer medicines, but with us it is a different ball game.

And I think that pnaic disorder continues to feed on itself; one panic attack and then the what ifs begin and therefore we begin to avoid what we perceive to be fearful situations, places, people. It is a snowball effect; it just keeps getting bigger and bigger, and we don’t know what to do, so we start going to doctors, hospitals, take time off, and this cycle just goes on and on because I believe that a doctor who has not personally suffered from any of these illnesses has plenty of book smarts but truly can’t understand, so their trying to help us is a crap shoot–perhaps it will work, and don’t forget folks that the pharmaceutical companies always are coming out with new medicines and they need guinea pigs to try them out. I fully admit that some medicines will work with many illnesses, but with our disorder, it is very difficult. Now, of course, the doctors tell us that there is a mew medicine which might help. Do you know how many times I heard this in 40 years and how many medicines I tried. An example would be your trying to open your front door with hundreds of keys which didn’t work, but there just might be that one key which will open your door.

For me it was Inderol, aka propranolol.

WHY? Because, in my opinion, we need some type of medicine to change our adrenaline issues in our body.

I call us “hypersensitives.” There is a good book about hypersensitives–am not sure of the author. I don’t agree with everything she says, but some of it rings true.

Thank you for listening, and I truly don’t judge any one for whatever they have to do to get through the day.

October 11, 2009 at 6:33 pm
(8) Helen says:

I forgot my membership userername and Password
& sent it to me?

Helen Montecinos

October 12, 2009 at 6:44 am
(9) Adam says:

Good for you Alfie

Do any of you know if this product is worth investing in?

October 13, 2009 at 5:49 am
(10) david says:

I’m impressed with support, I struggle with anxiety and it’s machonations in hostile passive agressive perscriptd KLONOPIN, dependecy. I’m humbly at a point where I can walk through that halcost if Inderol, can replace the Benzzz. I mean this respectifully, and gratefully, I am at .5 mg bid.prev.2mg bid 6mos. But I have 14 years of strange. I’ve gone cold,tritated, and treated,

October 19, 2009 at 3:18 pm
(11) Nora says:

I to have the panic disorder of when I cannot find something I put away. I panic. I take xanax which helps somewhat. Does anybody have this kind of panic?

October 20, 2009 at 1:06 pm
(12) emd9112001 says:

I’m happy with the pen pals I’ve found so far! Thanks ladies!

October 20, 2009 at 5:07 pm
(13) TR says:

I have suffered panic attacks for seventeen years. It is difficult to explain how you feel to others. People think that because you cannot see the illness that it is not there.

I would say I am semi functioning. I am on Lexapro, but I think I need something else as well. My doctor says therapy, therapy, but I truly feel that this is a chemical imbalance. I agree with the previous posters that this should also be labelled social anxiety.

The most difficult thing is trying to explain this at work. No one understands and I am percieved as not being able to handle anything. I worry about that constantly.

I think that having this forum is great. People will not feel so alone.

October 21, 2009 at 4:39 pm
(14) Dusty says:

Dear All…. I have suffered with panic /anxiety attacks most of my life & am headed towards 61 yrs. old. Took propranolol & thot I was gonna have a heart attack! Skippy heart & chest pains! That stuff wasn’t for me. But, glad it helps alot of folks. The only thing that keeps my “buzzies” at bey is good old Xanax with an occasional Flexeril chaser.
Good luck out there to ALL of us!!!!1